Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Making sure flyers deliver their payload

So, I was building a 2000 point list and, since I have 2 of them, I was looking for ways to incorporate at least 1 stormraven into it.  The stormraven does not have enough firepower to justify its cost as a gunship, so it needs to transport something.  So I add a furioso dread and some termies.  Now if the vehicle is destroyed, I will probably lose over 600 points.  My question is, how do I make sure that doesn't happen?

That is the point of the article.  As BA, we can significantly improve our flyer's chances of survival with the humble assault troop with jump pack.  I created 2 units, one with 2 flamers, and one with 2 meltaguns (I suppose if you were crunched for points you could take one unit, and give it 1 flamer and 1 meltagun).  I am not giving it any other upgrades (except maybe a melta bomb for the sergeant).

The goal of these 2 units is asset protection.  Before the game starts, I will look at my enemy's army and determine the biggest threats to my flyers.  Then I will combat squad my asset protectors accordingly.  If the enemy has units of lootas, or Tellion behind an AA turrent, I combat squad the flamer jumpers and drop them in a position to burn those guys out.  If the enemy has Hydoflaks, then I split the melta squad and drop them behind enemy lines.

Because of DoA, this works pretty well with Assault troops, as you can drop at just under 6" and be reasonable safe.  These are very likely to come in on turn 2, and can clear the way for your flyers.  Additionally you have a scoring unit behind enemy lines, that contributes to the line-breaker secondary mission.  That means that he is probably going to have to use at least 2 units to shoot at 5 men (unless he has uber plasma), because if even 1 man is alive, he will rally and give you the secondary mission point.  If you drop 2 squads, or even all 4 (throw the other one in for good measure), you can cause significant disruption that he has to deal with (otherwise keep flaming, grenading, and melta-ing stuff), and every vehicle, or loota, or dev that you kill is 1 less shot aimed at your stormraven.

I liked this idea so much that I decided to keep these disruption units even after I decided to put the stormraven points somewhere else (It will be very rare that you can't find SOMETHING to destroy that will make your army safer).

No comments:

Post a Comment