Saturday, July 14, 2012

1500 BA vs Orks, game 3

So, a third game against orks.  I wanted to try some new stuff, so I took out the Death Company and a whirlwind, and added some Assault Termies, a Storm Raven, and Brother Corbulo, so I had:

1 Libby in Termie armor with a stormshield,
 Brother Corbulo,
a Stormraven,
a 5 man dev squad with 4 missile launchers,
1 assault squad (2 flamers and sgt had twin plasma pistols and a melta bomb),
2 tac squads with MM and flamer,
and 6 assault termies (3 with TH/SS and 3 with 2 claws).

My opponent had:
 2 nob biker squads (1 medic, 1 melee weapon, and 2 power claws, + a biker boss in each squad )
 and 3 squads of 4 lootas

The game was relic and the deployment was hammer and anvil (I don't have my book handy, but I think that is what the second one was called).  I went first. (my BA are blue because I bought the marines on ebay, and am a lazy painter).


BA Turn 1 - I rushed everything toward the football.  I don't know why I kept the tac marines in cover, since he didn't have any ranged weapons that would overpower my 3+ sv.  I made sure Brother Corbulo was in front of the termies, so I could test his bullet catching ability (during the whole game, I never used LOS with corbulo, since there was no Ap 3, so the only difference between him now and him in 5th is that he was able to have all of the wounds assigned to him, which made a difference, but was not game-breaking).  Did a few wounds, which he passed around with LOS, but nothing died.

Ork turn 1 - Shot at some stuff with lootas.  first fired at Brother C and the termies.  Brother Caught 8 loota missiles and shrugged them off, and my opponent didn't shoot at that unit again for 3 turns.  Granted it was probably frustrating to watch him eat all of the missiles, but it's not a stretch to believe that a squad of termies could  make 8 2+, 5+ (armor and FNP) saves, anyway).  Bikers moved up (both units tried to charge my terminators, but he rolled a 3 and a 6 for charges, and he was mover than 6" with both units)


BA Turn 2 - I was all set to grab the relic with my termies when my opponent reminded me it had to be a scoring unit, so I moved them to screen while I moved my remaining full tactical squad up.  I also dropped some assault marines behind the bikes and flamed some.  My Storm Raven came in, but failed to inflict any wounds.  I concentrated all of my fire power on the far bike unit, because I was confident that my terminators could take out the other, which they did, forcing them to flee 17 inches (not enough to be off the board)

Ork Turn 2 - His bikers rallied and one unit of Lootas shot down my Stormraven and it crashed onto my damaged tactical squad, doing 3 wounds, all of which were saved.  Another unit of lootas killed most of my assault marines in the water, and his unit of 2 bikes charged and destroyed my 3 tactical squads.

Turn 3, my jump marines grab the relic, and his lootas shoot them to death, along with killing all but 1 of my devastators.  It was a really short turn, and nothing really happened.

BA Turn 4:This is the last picture I took of the game, the start of turn 4.  Not much happened from here.  My tactical squad grabbed the relic, Brother C and the Libby left the terminators and joined the Tacticals.  The remaining Terminators charged the lootas, and concentrated fire took out the group of 2 bikes.

Orc Turn 4: He moved his bikes into the river and charged my tactcials, after his lootas shot my terminators down to 1 guy with claws.  He charged, but my Librarian and Brother C, at the rear of the tactical squad, managed to finish the nobs off.

BA Turn 5 - Somehow my lone termie makes it to the lootas (a 6 difficult terrain roll and a 9 inch charge though cover.  I kill 3 lootas and survive the counter attack.

Ork Turn 5 - The other 2 groups of lootas fire at my tactical squad, killing the librarian, brother C, and 3-4 marines.  In CC, my terminator kills one more loota before he is overwhelmed.

We roll a 1 and the game ends.  Had the game gone another turn, there is a good chance I would have lost the last 5 guys of the tactical squad to combined fire power of about 38 loots, in which case I would have lost.  As it ended, it was 4 - 2 (he got first blood from my raven and we killed each others warlords)  I might have been on his half of the board in the end, but I don't think so, and we didn't measure since it didn't matter.

I only remembered to use my psyker powers the first turn, and then I remembered to activate my force sword on the 3rd turn (to kill is warlord), so I did not get my money's work from the librarian.  The Stormraven was underwhelming as well.  The whirlwind did a good job denying the lootas (he lined them all out of range of the whirlwind, so even though it didn't get many kills, it added to my control of the battle space in a positive way.  Whirlwinds are alot less useful against multi-floor ruins, half the turns I attacked the bikers with it, even though they were sub-optimal targets, because I just didn't care about killing 1-2 lootas.

No comments:

Post a Comment