Sunday, July 15, 2012

1500 BA v Necrons


Right after my battle against the orks, I played the same list against necrons (same player, different army)

1 Libby in Termie armor with a stormshield,
 Brother Corbulo,
a Stormraven,
a 5 man dev squad with 4 missile launchers,
1 assault squad (2 flamers and sgt had twin plasma pistols and a melta bomb),
2 tac squads with MM and flamer,
and 6 assault termies (3 with TH/SS and 3 with 2 claws).

I don't know necron stuff as well, but he  basically had
2 groups of 20 gaus troops (each with some character - one the game him a re-roll per phase, and one with some cool shoota weapon and a 1 time use weapon, which I'm going to call the arrow of Str 10 of doom (but i think it was something like tachayon arrow),
2 units of immortals in flyers, with 1 character each.

We did Crusade, and it was the diagnol set up, orks went first, and deployed 1 unit of necrons in each of his 2 big ruins (1 objective in each).  I set my guys up in a ruin, like my assault termies to run across the board, and place 1 unit of tac termies so that it could go after the other objective, which I put further away.  When we rolled for objectives, but of his were skyfire - neither of mine mattered.  I put Brother C with the devastators, because I was so afraid of his flyers, and I wanted to make sure my missile launchers lasted long enough to make a difference.
Turn 1 - I don't think he moved or shot this turn, he might of moved 1-2 inches in the ruins.  I moved terminators out toward middle, and the tac marines toward my further objective.  His warlord skill let him pick night-fighting, which he did (I think it was just so he wouldn't worry about having to shoot in the dark later.

Turn 2 Necron - His flyers came on.  He dropped 1 unit off near my whirlwind, but the unit barely got around the rock, and had to snapshot, so no damage to whirlwind.  He moves around in the ruins a little more.  He shoots into my devastators and kills 3 of them (Brother C can't work his magic, since he was positioned to take shots from the front, and not the side).

Turn 2 BA - My flyer comes on, and unloads everything into the transport that hasn't unloaded yet, and destroys it, unfortunately his flyer crashed into my whirlwind, and removed my missile launcher.  I shoot a missile at the remaining transport, and actually get a hit.  My assault marines jet pack in and do 0 wounds to once of the necron groups in the ruins (I am claiming a moral victory anyway, since this is the first time in 3 games that my Sgt didn't die from "gets hot" on the drop.)

Turn 3 Necron - He zooms his flyer to shoot my tac squad.  Since my whirlwind has no weapon, his immortal squad reverses direction, and starts heading around the rock toward my middle objective.  He shoots my terminators, and kills 2 or 3.  He shoots the assault marines, and reduce them to 4.  Since his other transport is gone, he has to roll reserves on his immortal squad, they do not come on.

Turn 3 BA - Still advancing tactical marines and assault terminators.  I jump the assault marines into a ravine about 13" from his squad (my plan was to keep them hidden in cover until my assault terminators get into charge range, then popping out and taking the overwatch shots.  Since my flyer had to jink to dodge his "arrow of Str 10 doom", I turned 90 degrees and flew off his edge of the board


Turn 4 Necrons - His immortals come on between my assault squad and his troops, and shoot my up, killing 2 marines.  He unloads both troop choices into my assault terminators, and reduces me to my librarian, and 1 TH/SS terminator.  The immortals he has on my side move toward the middle (getting close to charge range on the tac squad there).  The squad is only 6 strong, but they have a royal court guy, so I get a little nervous.

Turn 4 BA - Not wanting to give up the warlord point, and realizing that my assault terminators were no longer combat effective, I started to retreat them.  I lined up my whirlwind for a tank shock on the immortal squad on my side of the board.  My Stormraven came back on, and I unloaded into his immortal squad (the one bothering my assault terminators.  I only killed 3 of 6 immortals / characters, but there really was no better target - did I forget to mention he flew his transport off the board on his turn 4?  The tactical squad on the border objective fire at his necron troops, but don't kill any of them.  He says I shouldn't have drawn attention to them, because he forgot they were there (although it was a good thing because...


Necron Turn 5 ... He starts shooting at my tactical squad with everything he has (including the transport that came back on).  He killed 5 of them, and made them break and run 9", but that means he didn't shoot at my librarian (warlord).  He also moves his immortal squad backwards to finish off my whirlwind.  Which at the time, I thought was a mistake, because the whole game I thought those immortals would tear up my tactical squad, he said something about a lightning field, so I was afraid of him attacking the middle tactical squad (I guess his psycological warfare was stronger than mine)

Turn 5 BA - I run my librarian further from his side (I am pretty sure I am out of 24" at this point, but I didn't measure because I didn't want to draw attention to my librarian in case the game lasted another turn or two.  My edge tactical squad rallied (ATSKNF) and moved back onto the objective.  My Stormraven zoomed over and killed his last transport - which crashed somewhere off the board.  My jump pack marines jumped over his immortal squad, and then ran into the middle of his deployment zone (a risky move, that would have been suicide if the game hadn't ended.)

I won, with 1 point for first kill (his transport) and 1 for have a scoring squad in his deployment zone.  We both had 6 points worth of objectives.

Overall, I don't think this list is working for me.  Even though I won both games with it, it was an uphill battle the whole time (if either game had gone past 5 turns, I would have lost both games, and maybe even been tabled).  If the necrons had marched across the board, I do not think I would have had the fire power to stop them from rolling me.  The stormraven killed both of his flyers, but partly because he didn't care - he didn't see it as a big enough threat to waste shots on, unless there were no other targets (and other than the 2 transports, it killed 4 necron immortals).  Likewise - I think his transports killed a total of 4 devastors, and 2 marines, so had I not been able to shoot them down... I don't know. Marching the Terminators across the board does not work without Brother C, but Brother C only helps if you can control what side they are shooting at ( a mobile army can take advantage of this)

No comments:

Post a Comment