Monday, July 9, 2012

Get some Whirlwind

As mentioned in my first two battle reports, I got a lot of mileage out of my whirlwinds (even though they didn't kill anything the second game, they held all of my opponents heavy choices to the far edge of the map (so that they could not offer support to the uber bike squad.).

That being said, I did not expect to get nearly as much mileage out of them against any other army however, after talking to a friend today, I think I might have been wrong.  He was talking about all the crazy combinations of super cover units: harlequins, scouts with 2+ re-rollable cover saves and sniper rifles, etc.   Most people play marines though, so it doesn't really matter, right?  Think again - after this talk, I thought about alot of net lists people were throwing around, and alot of MEQ lists had scouts as their scoring units (so they could squeeze in flyers / allies / etc.)

Add all of this to the fact that more people will be running dismounted armies, and that night fighting will be more common (barrage might lose 12" of range - assuming a starting range of 48" but that is the only effect darkness will have on it), and that they can be used (with a bit of luck) to target specific models.

The problem is that, at least for now, the whirlwind is competing for spots with a Devastator Squad and Stormraven - not to mention predators, which got a decent boost.  Still, I am thinking that whirlwind adds more bang for the buck then a stormraven, and 1 whirlwind and 2 devastator Squads, or 2 Squads and 1 whirlwind might be my standard 1500 pt heavy slots.

No comments:

Post a Comment