Saturday, July 7, 2012

1500 BA vs Orks


Played 1500 BA vs Orks today:
Blood Angels
1 Reclusiarch - Bolt Pistol and Crozius Arcanum
19 Death Company with Boltguns. +1 Hammer, +1 Powerfist
2 Full Tac Squads (+1 Plasma gun, +1 Lascannon, SGT armed with meltabombs)
1 Full Assault Squad (+2 Flamers, SGT armed with meltabombs and 2 plasma pistols)
2 Whirlwinds
1 Devastator Team (5 Marines with 4 Missile Launchers, SGT has meltabombs)

Orks
4-5 Ork Bikers (medic with squig, most of them had power claws)
Boss on Bike 
3 units of 12 lootas
hardboyz (15-20?) led by boss
Aegis defense line
2 kans

Game was the Scouring, and Deployment was Dawn of War. (trying to find vassal to include pictures, until then, instead of a blow by blow, I am going to just put the hi lights / comments)

Whirlwinds payed for themselves big time.  The person I was playing had several armies, I knew I would probably be playing Orks, IG, Salamanders or Necrons.  I took the whirlwinds because I knew they'd be decent against everything but the IG parking lot, and even then I could glance some vehicles.  The caused a group of lootas to run off the board after their first turn of shooting, and then destroyed his hardboys (bad rolls kept him in the water for 3 turns, and very few got out of the water alive.

I was careless with the death company.  They were across the river from the bikes; I moved close to get rapid fire shots (was still a little short), I thought the river would stop the bikes from getting the charge, but it didn't even slow them down.  Even with about 24 rapid-fire shots, I only got 2 hits and no wounds on overwatch.  Even without the charge, they lasted 4 rounds of combat - the change to fearless made made a big difference.  By the time the death company was dead, there were 3 wounds, each with 1 wound left.  

The devastator squad was demolished on turn 1 (broke and ran off board after losing 3).  

Tactical Squads did well, but I made a mistake - moved plasma gun and lascannon to front (for best shot), and they were the first casualties when I got hit with lootas.

Assault Troops did well-ish.  They dropped in, and broke a group of lootas, and then finished them off when they rallied.  They got assaulted by two 'kans.  The Sgt killed one with melta bomb.  Second one killed all but one marine.  The marine eventually killed the 'kan with krak grenade (immobilized one turn, and then glanced to death next turn)

Thoughts:  double plasma pistols didn't really do anything.  Since the assault marines are taking out soft targets, I didn't really gain anything by having plasma or being able to select targets.  Make sure to keep heavy weapons in back of squad.  Devastators didn't do much for me this game, but I will keep them for now - although might add some extra marines for absorbing wounds.  The melta-bomb worked brilliantly when the squad got hit by the 'Kans, striking at weapon-skill makes a huge difference, especially for 5 points.  The death company did not rock quite as much as I thought it would (I thought 19 was going to be over-kill, I imagined walking down the middle of the field killing everything in range, and then just walking my tactical squads onto the objectives.)

No comments:

Post a Comment