Monday, October 8, 2012

GK vs Necron, 2000 points

Played a game against my normal Necron opponent.  It was 2000 points, Big Guns Never Tire, Vanguard Deployment.  This is the first time I have played Grey Knights since 6th edition, and I wanted to try Paladins (which I have never used before).  My list was:
Draigo
10 Paladins with Apothecary, 4 Master Crafted Psycannons, 3 hammers, 2 swords, every one else had a Halberd.
2 units of Strike Squads (10 Men) with 2 Psycannons, 2 Hammers, Justicar with Halberd and psybolt ammo
2 Dread Knights, with Teleporters and Heavy Incinerators.

The Necrons (from memory) had
Immotek
Necron Over Lord
6 Crypteks (4 with Abyssal Staffs, 2 with timestop?(lets you re-roll 1 die every phase)
3 units of warriors (I think 20, 10 and 10)
A Bastion with Quad Gun
2 Flyer Transports
2 Flyers with Death Ray
2 units of Death Marks

I combat squaded the Strike Squads, and put them in Deep Strike.  Necrons had a unit of 20 warriors, with the overlord, and a re-roll cryptek on the ground, and a unit of 10 troops with immotek on the battlements of the bastion.  (Later he remembered his other unit of troops and walked them onto the board).  He also had the Deathmarks in the flying transports, each squad with 2 crypteks with Abyssal Staffs)

I didn't take pictures of every turn; the first two pictures are the set up.



 I scouted my Paladins up (using my Grand Strategy).  It was dark automatically because of Immotek, and his shooting did not do any damage.  I charged up, and teleported both Dread Knights forward and flamed stuff - unfortunately, his overlords with the closest models to both dread knights, so while I got a total of 10 wounds, only 1 of them cleared the 2+ Armor Save.

Turn 2, still night - his lightning doesn't kill anything.  I knew what was coming, so I had spread out my Paladins.  Both of this transports come in, and they drop next to my paladins.  After marking my Paladins with the Deathmarks, he hits my Paladins with the Abyssal Staffs.  Previously, this move had decimated my death starts (Str 8, AP 1 template that targets leadership, but wounds on 2 because of death mark).  Because I was spread out, he got about 3 knights per template, so a total of 6 hits for each of the 2 units).  Draigo took 5 on his Storm Shield, and passed them all.  I lost 1 Paladin on the other side.  I was encouraged, since this could have been the death blow to my small army.
On my turn 2, I deep strike 3 of my combat squads in, which do some shooting, but don't make a huge impact.  My Paladins are set up to charge both units of death marks, but I shoot 1 squad, and obliterate it, so I can't charge.  I charged on of my dread knights into his unit of 20 Necons, and challenge, which he accepts with his overlord.  His cheering section let him re-roll a failed save, and neither of us inflict a would the first round of combat.

Turn 3.  His other death ray comes in, and I let him line up 4 paladins, 3 of which die because of instant death.  On the melee challenge, I inflict 3 wounds, and he fails 1, and the re-reroll.  This causes him to lose by 2, and he fails - and his 20 man warrior squad runs of the table.  My other Dread attacked the Bastion, although I am not sure why I bothered (failed to damage it anyway).  My other combat squad drops in, and hits his transport twice - once with rending, he decides to evade.  My Paladins shoot his other death marks to death.



Turn 4, He comes out of the tower with immotek and warriors, and flys 3 of his flyers off the board (they were out of targets on that side of the board.

I move my dread knight to intercept those coming out of the tower. Between the shooting of a heavy incinerator and the squad that dropped into his corner, I killed 5 warrior before immotek could start blocking
bullets, but Immotecks squad broke, and carried him with them off the board.

Turn 5, nothing special, some shooting, his last squad took the last wound of my dread knight.  I tried to move my SS pictured above to the objective in those ruins, but couldn't make it.  In the end, I had 2 objectives, first blood, warlord, 1 killed heavy and line breaker.  He had 1 objective, kill the warlord, 2 killed heavies.

This might be hard to follow, because I was really tired when I wrote most of it, and it was 2 days later, so I may not have accounted for every death, but the general idea is there.

As far as what learned:
Draigo is a machine, and the Paladins are a rock.  I was worried about putting so many points into one unit, but they took a lot of punishment, and put out so much fire power that they can't be ignored.  I was a little concerned about their lack of speed, but when playing long table edges, giving them scout lets them start shooting on turn 1 (and their shooting was devastating).  I could't test their melee, because they shot everything off the board before charging (this makes me think that maybe I could lower the squad size, and take some more support, but not yet)

The Dread Knights.  I have 3, so I seriously considered taking all 3, and leaving off the Personal Teleporters.   I think for now I am going to keep them.  Being able to get way into enemy deployment zone on turn 1 is great.  I was able to provide threats to take pressure off my Paladins.  Also, when my Strike Squads came in deep, a lot of his shooting resources were tied up (Although this didn't stop him from using his 4 flyers to take out almost 2 squads.  The dreads were my primary anti-tank (rending psycannons is the back up), but based on my attacks on the building, I am still going to struggle with land raiders and other 14 all around vehicles.

The Strike Squads.  I can't really complain.  They took out 1 flyer, they held 2 objectives, and helped shoot a unit off the board.  Being able to deep strike is great.  In 5 man squads, they have decent firepower (especially with psybolt ammo), but they are still marines, and 5 of them get shot up pretty badly in the open.

No comments:

Post a Comment