Saturday, October 20, 2012

2000 Fast Jump Army to 3 Dread Knight Army

So, after the last tournament, I wanted to take the concept of 2 teleporting dread knights, and turn it up.  So I made the following list:

1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor with termie armor and psycannon

3 GKSS (10 Man, 2 psycannon, 2 hammers, justifier with halberd, psybolt ammo)

2 GK Interceptors (10 man, 2 psycannon, 2 hammers, justifer with halberd, psybolt ammo

2 Dread Knights (Heavy Incinerators, personal teleporters)

Although this army got tabled on turn 6, I think that was more to playing errors.  Against chaos, especially with heldrakes, I think combat squadding is a mistake (now).  Additionally, he bubble wrapped his units with cultists, which was good idea, but I probably could have (should have) ignored them, since the 5+ cover save doesn't matter against chaos.  This list has the ability to put so many units in the enemy's face on turn 1, that he is playing catch up the rest of the game.  It didn't work out this time, because I was afraid of the counter charge, but it turns out that the characters (with deamon weapons) are the only real threats - getting charged by any of the cultist marines turned out to not be a big deal - considering we have so may AP 3 power weapons.

If I had taken this army to the tournament, I think I would have won (instead of taking second), but after my last game, my chaos friend is looking at 2 Daemon Princes, and at least 2 Heldrakes, whereas 1 of each tore this army apart, so I want to keep the same theme, but add some anti-air, and maybe beef up my Daemon Prince Protection a little, without losing the "in your face" aggressiveness.

First, the interceptor squads - I like them, and they did well, but they are 325 points each, and I need to free up points for air defense, so I cut both of those and the servo skull, giving me 655 points.

I buy 2 Storm Ravens, equipped with TL MM and TL Assault Cannons.  This Leaves me with 245 Points.

I buy another Dread Knight (with Heavy Incinerator and Teleporter), to up my Daemon Protection and to help cover the hole left by the 2 intercept squads I lost.  This leaves me with 10 points.  I am thinking that I want to be able to boost my reserve rolls, so I want to make my inquisitor a Psyker.  This puts me 20 points in the hole, which I cover by dropping Psybolt ammo on 1 squad (the squad the Inquisitor is going to).

I could take Coteaz instead, which would give me re-rolls, the ability to use, we've been expecting you, and a chance to re-roll for steal the initiative - but being able to control when my stuff comes in might be more valuable, as I can push my troops back, or make sure that my flyers come in after his....

I will look into it more, but right now I am looking at:

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Psyker with Termie armor and psycannon
3 10 Man Strike Squads (2 hammers each, 1 halberd justifier each, 2 psycannons each, and 2 of the units
       have psybolt ammo)
2 Stormravens (TL MM and TL Assault Cannons)
3 Dread Knights with Heavy incinerators and Personal teleporters

Good anti-air, good durability / disruption with Dread Knights, and 3-6 decent scoring units, that can deep strike in.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while, but I thought that i'd mention that I used this 3 Dreadknight list at 2 local tournaments - I won first place once. The second tournament, I lost 1 game, and tied the games I played against the two players who ended up being 2nd and 3rd place (although I should have beat the second; I forgot that IG can't move after rallying as if they had ATSKNF - just so used to playing marines that I didn't even think about until the next time I read the rule book).

    Over all, the list is pretty effective against armies with some points invested in an airforce - anything less than 2 Stormraven's left me struggling against Heldrakes, Vendetta, or even lots of Necron Air.

    The problem is that the Stormravens don't bring enough fire power to make up for losing 40 bolter shots with psybolt ammo - so against lists without a lot of vehicles or air, the Stormravens couldn't efficiently switch to an anti-ground role (other than sniping psykers)

    ReplyDelete