Monday, October 8, 2012

GK vs IG - 2000 points

Using the same GK army as last battle report, I faced IG.  We rolled big guns never tire and vanguard, but since we had just played vanguard, and setting it up is such a hassle, we re-rolled and got short table edges.  This was a good test for my army, because I had a lot of distance to cover, against an army that severely out ranged me (a situation I struggled with when I played IG in 5th).

The IG had:
Bastion with quad gun
Company command squad (with astropath and the the one that subtracts 1 from my reserve roll), and las
    cannon and meltagun
2 Basilisks (1 squad)
2 Leman Russ - Str 10, AP 1 gun (not squaded)
3 squads of 2 Vendettas
1 Chimera with Vets (3 melta guns)
1 Squad of Vets with Las Cannon (probably melta, but they never got to shoot) - on the battlements
Marbo

There were 3 objectives, and he got to place 2 of them, so he placed one in each of his corners, and put a Leman Russ on 1, and his basilisks on the other.  I placed mine in a ruins that blocked line of site from his side of the board (so he would have to move some ground forces in to flush them out).  I put my other 3 combat squads in reserve, and  put my Paladins in the middle.

He had turn 1, and it was night fighting.  Using Grand Tactics, I a dread knight to some ruins for cover close to his basilisks, but I got too close to the edge of the ruins - so at least half of army could see me clearly.  Because he lined up so far back, and it was night, they only thing he could shoot at was the scouted DK.  It took 2 wounds.  On my turn, I moved up my Paladins (trying to hug some mid-field cover - which turned out to be a mistake the way I did it).  I used my 30" teleport on both DK, 1 toward the basilisk, one toward the LR on the objective (the other LR was behind the basilisk, next to the chimera).  Since I knew I wasn't going to be able to charge, I jumped toward the heavies, but also so that I was within 12 of the bastions.  2 Heavy Incinerators destroyed the quad gun, and killed all but 1 veteran, who failed his leadership and jumped off the battlement (and died).  Giving me first blood.
Score: GK 4 (1 objective + Fist Blood), IG 6 (2 objectives)

On turn 2 he brought all his guys in (his warlord roll gave him a re-roll for reserves, and he was coming in on 2+ because of the astropath).  His flyers all lined up on my Paladins, and Marbo landed right behind them.  My mistake in using cover, was that it was front cover, and Draigo was in the front, so the vedettas focused fire on the Paladins not in cover (which means I couldn't use Draigo's SS or Eternal warrior.  I made some good saves, and he rolled four 1's to wound out of 5 hits from 1 squadron, so I lost 4-5 Paladins.  He fired almost everything else he had into the dread knight threatening the basilisks, and killed it.

My Paladins moved up and fired at this flyers, but maybe glanced one. 2 of my strike squads came in, so I dropped 1 in the back to shoot Marbo, and 1 near the Basilisks, since I the DK had been killed, and I really wanted to knock them out (since it was the only thing that could push me off my objective without him moving ground forces in - and he didn't have enough ground forces to do that).  My surviving Dread Knight killed a Leman Russ.  I also moved Draigo, so that he was out of cover, and 2 Paladins into cover.  This was another mistake, because the 2 paladins in cover were closer to 4 of the vendettas than Draigo, and the 5+ cover was no better than their Invuln save anyway.
Score: GK 5 (+1 for killing a heavy), IG 4 (lost an objective, killed a heavy)

Turn 3 - He vendettas killed the 2 Paladins I put in cover, and put a few wounds on Draigo.  His Artillery hit my objective holders, and got 6 hits, but they went to ground, and only 3 of them died.  He killed my Strike Squad that was threatening the Basilisks, and everything that was left went after my dread, who took 2 more wounds.
My last strike squad failed to come in again.  My Dread knight jumped over and killed his other Leman Russ.  My Paladins moved up.  The SS that went after Marbo moved toward my objective - since I was not going to be able to shut down his artillery, I wanted some more bodies on it.
Score: GK 6 (+1 for killing another heavy), IG 4.

Turn 4.  He shot my Paladins down to 3, one of his vendetta squads fired on the SS going to support my objective (since I had to run across the open street, I had no cover, and lost 5 guys).  His artillery missed my 2 guys on the objective, both templates scattering more than 5 inches.  He got out of his Chimera to shoot at my Dread Knight, but some bad rolls and some good saves saw my DK survive with 1 wound still left. (He actually got out of the Chimera last turn, I think to get shots on my SS, so that they wouldn't get cover, but his Chimera still would).  He ran 2 of his vendetta squads into reserve.
I jumped my DK over to assault his Basilisk.  Since they are right up against the wall, he says I can't charge them, because they can't fit in base.  I am fine with that (although in retrospect, I think that if you can move through walls, you can assault through walls, if both the attacker and defender are within 1" of the wall), so I flame his veteran squad, and kill a lot of them, they break and run off the table.  My last SS comes in, and I gamble big, deep striking on the objective the LR had been covering.  I am Deep Striking into cover, between a wall (although I could have been on both sides of the wall) and a LR, and less than 4" from the table edge.  I get a hit, and then run - claiming the objective.  I also manage to glance one of the basilisks with my paladins, making it unable to shoot (since it can't snap shot a template weapon)
Score: GK 9 (+3 for Objective), IG 4.

Turn 5.  His vendetta squads come back on and kill Draigo, and 1 of my paladins.  His 1 artillery shot misses.  He finished off my Dread Knight.
I don't do anything significant, but we roll and the game ends.
Score GK 10 (+1 for line breaker), IG 6 (+2 for killing a heavy and a warlord)
This game was close, because had my deep strike gamble not paid off, we would have tied at 6.

Lessons.
This game reinforced the usefulness of jump pack on dread knight.  The ability to threaten things that can threaten my Paladins on turn 1 is very useful.  They are also durable enough to take a decent amount of fire, as long as I am moderately careful with placement.  The only problem with being there on turn 1, is that they are there alone.  I think they would be a nice compliment to Mordrak - but that would be a different army.

Paladins. When playing short edges, I might be better off deep striking these guys, although maybe not, as without their presence on the board, all of the vendetta would have fired on my DK, and probably had destroyed them, so even though they didn't do much, walking the long walk, they did make it so that my DK could do a lot.  I will have to think about it, and it will also depend on how the enemy sets up.

Strike Squad still doing fine.  Deep Striking, durable objective holders, that can do enough damage that they are dangerous to ignore.  What's not to like?




Turn 5 - Lone Paladin facing 4 Vendettas (the other 2 finished of the DK)

Strike Squad that won the game.  I deep striked onto the white triangle, and then ran to my current position.  We moved it, but the LR was just off the bottom of the picture.


2 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure you can assault as long as both models are in base to base with the wall. Other than that, good battle report, glad to see your list being so tough. I look forward to battling you at the tourney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still trying to tweak the Paladin squad a little. I would love to squeeze a Psyker in, and give myself some divination love, although it would really be for anti-aircraft ability, since I don't have a lot of trouble shooting anything else. Aren't we playing next weekend (20th), or are you skipping that to play in the tourney?

    ReplyDelete