Tuesday, October 30, 2012

2000 GK vs IG





 So, played IG, 2000 points.  Game was Big Guns Never Tire, with Dawn of War Deployment - 5 objectives.

I was playing my fast Army with some AA added in (after the Chaos Debacle).  I had 3 units of 10 Strike Squads (2 Hammers, 2 Psycannons, Halberd justifier, and Psybolt Ammo), 1 Intercept Squad (1 Hammer, 2 Psycannons, Halberd justifier, and Psybolt Ammo), 2 Dread Knights (teleporter and heavy incinerator), 1 Stormraven, 1 Psyrifleman Dread, Ordo Malleus in terminator armor with psycannon.

My opponent played something like 2 Leman Rus Executioners with multi-melta sponsons, 3 units of 2 vendettas, 2 Chimeras with veterans (I think there were 2 plasmas, a melta, and a Las Cannon in each), 1 Squad of 2 Basilisks.  A command Squad of some kind (with the guy that lets them +1 to reserve roll), and a named character in the Leman Russ.

I combat squaded all the Strike Squads and put them in reserve (Which I later realized was illegal, as I forgot about the half-army thing).  In the future, if I want 6 combat squads, I'll put 2 of the combat squads, with the inquisitor, in a raven, and then drop them off on the way in).

Turn 1 - Night Fighting - Grey Knights - I ended up with 3 objectives - I placed one in the back (with my Psyrifleman on it), and 2 along the river (close to the middle, so my 24" weapons can do something).  I teleported each dreadknight toward a Leman Russ, and the interceptors into the crater in the middle of the enemy deployment zone.  One dread knight managed to break a chimera with his incinerator and a lucky shot, the explosion killed 5 guard, and the rest were pinned down in the crater it left.
Turn 1 - Night Fighting - IG - The IG manage to kill the dread knight on the left - after using every other weapon in range, a lucky snap-shot with a las cannon on the move put the final wound on it.  The other tank rolled around and managed to put 2 wounds on the dread.  The artillery fired at my interceptors, but because of huge scatters, only killed 2 guys.

Score: GK 1 (First Blood), IG 1 (Killed Heavy)


Grey Knight Turn 1, after moving. My objectives are the dice shown (2 along the river, and 1 right behind the Dreadnought.  Both of his objectives are behind the ruined towers (1 behind each - and they were both skyfire - mine were worthless, 1 was a bomb that killed 1 marine, the others were also insignificant)


Turn 2 - GK - All but 2 of my combat squads came in, as well as my Storm Raven, which flies toward the Leman Russ on the left flank.  My Dread Knight goes after my Basilisks (destroying 1 and stunning the other), and my interceptors go after the Leman Russ with the character, and Hammer it to death.  I deep strike one squad near the crater of the chimera, and almost scatter off the board (had it been a 10 man squad they wouldn't have made it), but they manage to kill the IG hiding in the crater before they can shoot my dread knight.  1 Squad also landed near each of my objectives, and one landed near the left Leman Russ on the left (hoping for a lucky psycannon shot). 

Turn 2 - IG - Only 1 of his Vendetta Squadrons came in (he only needed a 2), and fired at my Stormraven.  He got 3 hits, but no penetrating shots.  His Leman Russ killed the Strike Squad that landed in the crater.  He got out of the other Chimera to fire at the Stormraven (he stretched the unit out so that he could claim the skyfire bonus from the objective, but since he had to move, he was snap shooting anyway that turn, and missed

Score - GK 2 (Killed Heavy), IG 1



Turn 2 Right Flank, GK before Assault

Turn 2 Right Flank GK before assault


Turn 3 - GK - Other units came in, dropped them both on right flank (so the vendettas already on couldn't get to them, and to claim his right objective - they both scattered way backwards though, so between that and the river, they would end about 1 turn short of making it his objective).  My Stormraven flew off the board, as I couldn't move 18" and still hit anything.  I moved toward my objectives (I didn't land right on them last turn).  My Psyrifleman got 4 hits with the autocannons, and between that and the psycannons, took down both vendettas.  The Interceptors mover toward the other Leman Russ, and take out the chimera with a psycannon on the move.  The DreadKnight finishes off the last basilisk.

Turn 3 - IG - Only 1 squad of Vendettas made it on again, and they managed to kill my PsyrifleDread (despite his 3+ cover save - I guess I did have 1 good objective, + 1 to cover).  He shoots some interceptors, trying to do enough wounds to take out the hammer, but he falls 1 short, and the hammer survives.

Score - GK 9 (Killed Heavy and 2 objectives), IG 5 (Killed another Heavy and 1 objective)

Turn 4 - GK - My interceptors shoots the veterans, killing enough that they are no longer on the objective.  My Storm Raven comes is, and stuns one of the vendettas, but the Assault Cannon doesn't do anything (wish I had 25 points for Psybolt on that, but it's a lot of points to upgrade 1 weapon).  I shoot a lot of psycannons at his vendettas, and destroy 1 of them, and glance the other one 2 times.  my Dread Knight incinerates 4 of the 5 remaining veterans, and the survivor runs of the board. 

Turn 4 - IG - His other flyers come on, and shoot at my stormraven, velocity locking it at full speed.  His other vendetta kills a few marines in the river.  I don't remember what his LR did, it might have been stunned or something, it may have killed some strike squad guys who were moving toward his left objective.

Score - GK 9, IG 2 (lost objective)

Turn 5 - Interceptors killed Leman Russ, Strike Squads run toward enemy objectives (but I think they both fell about 1-2" short of being within 3".  I shoot at the vendettas, and take one of them down (which had his company command squad - killing about 9 of them, the survivor failed his leaderhip and ran off the board - I think).  Stormraven flew off the board

Turn 5 IG - Vendettas killed some guys, 1 unit flew off the board.

Game ended.

Score - GK 10-11 (line breaker, probably slay the warlord, but wasn't tracking it), IG 2



GK Turn 4

He had some bad rolls early on, and I had some good rolls early on, but over all I am happy with this list.  Besides the mistake of having too much in reserve, which will be solved by putting 3 "units" in the stormraven, I may have deployed badly.  I have been setting up my dread knights so that they teleport after the biggest 2 threats.  The problem is that, although I have gotten lucky, I am undermining my whole strategy of delivering a crippling blow because both times, the enemy had enough fire power within range of each dread knight to kill both of them before the charge. I should be deploying them together that way, even though I will only get 1 priority target, I am rendering at least part of his firepower inert (In his whole army, he probably has the fire power to kill 2 Dreads in 1 turn, but maybe not on 1 side of the board.

The interceptors were great.  They took some fire power off my dreads, and they killed both Leman Russes.

Strike Squads, as always (except that time they charged a demon), delivered.

The Psyrifle Dread had a few really good rolls against enemy aircraft, and provided enough of a threat that he took 6 las cannon shots that might have pushed a squad off an objective, so I can't complain (it also might have been the dread, and not the interceptors, that killed the second chimera).

Stormraven - The melta provided a threat, and it survived, which meant it took a lot of airborn firepower off my troops (so even if it only shot down 1 plane, it kept the enemy planes occupied).  To make it really shine against enemy air, I need to find 25 points, so that I can give the assault cannon str 7, but again, 25 points for 4 shots that aren't going to be on the board every turn might be a little too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment