Monday, October 15, 2012

1500 Tournament, Game 3

So, last game of the tournament Saturday.  I played against Chaos, with IG allies (from forgeworld list - Elysian Air, or something like that).  The game was d3+1 objectives, +1 point for each enemy troop destroyed, and all the normal secondary objectives.   The Deployment was short table ends (Hammer and Anvil?)

He had an
IG company command squad,
1 unit of veterans in a Valkyrie (dedicated transport for his army)
The Nurgle Lord that makes cultists into Zombies,
2 units of 5 terminators,
1 unit of 2 oblits
1 unit of 10 zombies
1 unit of 10 Plague Marines.

He deployed first, and Coteaz helped me steal the initiative again, and there was night fighting.

I think this guy was a good player - he knew the rules, and things went smoother than I would expect for a new player, but his list had absolutely no synergy.

One turn 1 - I jumped my Dreads up and killed his Zombies, and moved 3 of my transports up 12" (2 of the objectives were on his side, and only one on my side (which I defended with aegis line and icaraus las cannon, 5 purifiers, and coteaz, and 2 chimeras).  My las cannon took out the AR12 bunker his oblits were in.

One his turn 1, he shot some stuff, but didn't really do any damage.

Score - Me 2 (1 troop + first blood), Chaos 0

Turn 2 - I assaulted his Plague marines (they were on one of his objectives - he had no one on his other objective, I think his plan was to keep 1, and to take mine).  It takes 4 full rounds of combat, but my dread knight eventually kills them.  My other Dread Knight helped flame the plague marines, but doesn't charge, because he is going after the oblits next turn.  One of my Chimeras killed 2 of his Company Command Squad, and break them.

One his turn 2, his command squad rallies, and his lord and 5 terminators come in.  They land behind Coteaz, and with Purifiers and "We've been expecting You", I kill 2 Terminators before they get to shoot.  He still has enough fire power to kill coteaz (I failed LoS on Plasmagun), who was in the back of the formation.
Score - Me 2, Chaos 1 (kill the warlord)

Turn 3 - I move my purifiers to the other side of the wall (abandoning the gun) and shoot.  I continue to move my Chimeras toward the middle of the board.

On this Turn 3, his other terminators come in, and kill the purifiers.  His lord splits off and charges a Chimera, while the other 2 surviving terminator charges the other Chimera.  His Lord doesn't make it.  The Jakero weaponsmiths use heavy flamers, killing 1 terminator before becoming immobilized.
His flyer came on, and did nothing.

Score - Me 2, Chaos 1

Turn 4 - His flyer was in the way of my Chimeras, so I stood there and shot it.  My Dreadknight jumped over and killed his Oblits (this might have happened on turn 3), but I don't remember what he did for a round.

On his turn he moved his flyer near my objective (I am guessing so that he can unload them into the objective on turn 5.  My other Dread Knight finally finishes off the plague marines.  I can't remember what his terminators did, but I know he didn't kill any vehicles.  I think we was making a box to protect his veterans around the objective.

Me 3, Chaos 1

Turn 5 - I jump one Dread knight toward his command squad (who was still hiding in the ruins from turn 1), and the other used teleport back to my home objective.  I dropped troops on both objectives in his area.  I shoot down his plane, and my Dread burns down his last troop choice.

I am now up 11 (First blood, 3 troops, 2 objectives, and line breaker) to 2 (line breaker - though we both forgot to calculate line breaker at the time), and he resigns.

Again, Dreadknights ruled enemy backfield.  Thinking about it more, I still think this is a newer player.  Although he know the rules, and the game went smoothly (and he knew more about forgeworld stuff than I did), he made some basic mistakes.  Trading both of his objectives for my 1 objective was a bad move (he could have dropped a termie squad on one of his own objectives, instead of both on mine).  He tooled out his Company Command Squad with plasma and medpacks, and another option, and then, after the first round, kept them out of sight of everything, for the rest of the game.

Coteaz helped me steal the initiative twice in 3 games, but I don't think he is going to be in the next list I try (he lacks the mobility required)

The Aegis line and Icarus Las cannon didn't make a big difference in any of the games - the one game the enemy brought a flyer, he knocked me off the gun before the flyer came in.

The chimeras with 4 acolyte warriors and 2 weaponsmiths did very well.  The Las cannon killed stuff from far away, and then used heavy flamers when the vehicle got charged.  They held objective fine - I really have no complaint against them.  The only thing is, I have played all vehicles against heavy melee, and had my opponents gotten close (and ignored the dreadknights), I don't think I could have stopped him from tearing through my troops - although, to be fair, what in my book is going to stand against 20 beserkers lead by Kharn? It was great against the enemies I played, but against Nob Bikers, I might have been in serious trouble, of course it worked, and last time I changed a list that worked after a tournament, I got crushed the next tournament (Although "crushed" means going from 1st to 4th place :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment