Monday, October 15, 2012

1500 Point Tournament - Game 1

So, played in a 1500 point tournament this weekend.  I got second - I actually played the guy who won, and tied him - but he won the tie breaker (total overall VP) by 1.  Overall, I played 3 really good games.  I did not got with my Paladin list, because I didn't think I could make it work at 1500 points, so I went with:
Coteaz
5 Inquistor warbands (2 Jakero, 4 acolyte warriors (one unit had 3) and Chimera)
2 Dread Knights with Teleporters and 2 power fists
1 5 man purifier (2 Psycannons, 2 halberds)
Aegis defense line with Icarus Las Cannon

I didn't take pictures - First game was Purge the Alien with Hammer and Anvil, night fighting on turn 1 (and all games are 5 turns).
The Guy I played was orcs and chaos - he is the one who won the tournament, and the 2000 point tournament last month
He had:
unit of 15 lootas
an Ork with a big gun (don't remember the name, but he had to roll 2d6 str, and if he got doubles, bad stuff        
          happened.  That guy was in a unit of Grots
Karn and big unit of beserkers
Dark Aspostle and big unit of cultists.

He went first, but I stole the initiative.  I jumped both dread knights, flamed the cultists, and killed a lot of them, but they are fearless - I actually spent too much time on these guys I think, I should have burned them once, and then jump over and take out the lootas and grots.  Everything else in my army shot his 5 devastators, and killed them - giving me first blood and 2 KP

The Dread Knights did their job though, it reversed his whole momentum of his army.  He moved his berserkers toward the Dread Knights, I think his big gun killed 3 purifiers, and maybe put a wound of a dread knight.
Me - 2, Enemy - 0

Turn 2
I misplayed the dread knights here, I moved one toward the cultist, and 1 toward the Beserkers (I thought I would win a challenge against his lord).  I killed enough with the flamers that I needed a 9 inch charge for both units, and I failed both charges.
He fired on my dreads, and did some wounds on both of them, and then charged one of dreads with his beserkers.  I issued the challenge, and got slaughtered, I severely underestimated Kharn.
Me - 2, Enemy 1

Turn 3
I started moving up the chimeras up to his deployment zone.  I got up to his cultists, I figured, and lined up on his Apostilary - by now there were 3 cultists, so if I put myself out of charge range, it wouldn't matter, because there would be nothing to charge.  I flamed, and he LOS all of them (I think he should have took them with his 3+ save on the Apostilary, but instead I burned 5 more guys and then charged.  I won the challenge, and killed the Apostilary, but they made their save.
On his turn, he brought his beserkers over and helped out the cultists, killing the other Dread Knight.  His lootas and Ork boss pop a Chimera.
Me -3, Enemy - 3

Turn 4 - I can't see the cultist (he is blocking them with the Beserkers), so I moved right up to the ruins, and killed a few lootas.
He leaves left his beserkers screening the cultist, and had a really bad turn of shooting, failing to do anything major.

Turn 5 -
I know this is the last turn, and that it is close, so I unload everyone from the Chimeras (to make sure I get line breaker, and I flame his lootas. I have some bad shooting (I should have been able to move the lootas with 4 heavy flamers, and I did kill 5, bringing him to 8, and he rolled a 8 on his leadership - if I had killed 1 more...), he has some bad shooting, and fired everything in his army at 1 warband, but in the end his grots (who he hadn't bothered shooting the rest of the game) managed to kill the last 2 Jakero in a squad - The game ended 4-4.

I was really happy with the Dread Knights.  By the time he killed them, the rest of my Army was in his deployment zone, and his melee guys didn't have time to get across the board.  I should have killed the lootas, and maybe the grots (and the Boss with a gun, and then cleared the cultists - saving the 30 man fearless group for later).  The rest of my army did ok, but the Dreads definitely carried the Army.
Also, I learned that the Dreads are not instant character killers, I need to be more aware of the what initiative and AP I'll be facing.

3 comments:

  1. nice. So, what did you think of the overall Tournament format? let me know if you think anything needs to be tweaked. I heard a lot of positives when I was there, so I'm glad it went better than previous tournaments. Anyways, looking forward to the Batreps on your other games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got the second bat rep up, one more to go. The format was great, and encouraged a lot different (maybe more balanced) armies, as people had to worry about scoring. Only 2 things that I think should change. On the first game, terrain was before picking sides (or even what sides were going to be - in terms of which table edges would be used). This creates a problem when people bring fortifications, as they don't know where to place them. The other thing was on the last game, the 2+d3 objectives. It is not why I lost, but I did realize that since total VP was the tie breaker, if I only had 3 objectives available, and someone on another table had 5, it could give them an unfair advantage, so maybe have the TO roll once for everyone, at the start of round 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, cool beans. I'll tweak the scenario and give it to Fred. I agree with you on that aspect. Maybe just make it a straight 5 objectives for fairness. As for the deployment SNAFU, I already identified that and it will be changing for next time.

    ReplyDelete