Monday, April 15, 2013

Chaos v Orks - 2000 points

Well, I played 2000 points against orks last week, I started to take pictures, but then I forgot, so I think that all I have is the initial set up.


Overall Board

Chaos Side


Orks

For 2000 points, I had 2 units of 33 Zombies, 2 units of 2 Obliterators, 1 Unit of 3 terminators with combi-meltas, 2 heldrakes (one with cannon, one with flamer), Aegis Defense Line (quad gun), 3 units of CSM with mark of Nurgle and 2 plasma guns), and Typhus - everything except zombies and dragons have mark of nurgle.

Orks had 3 units of lootas (2 in trucks), a unit of nob bikers with a biker boss and medic, gazgul and 30 boys, and 2 or 3 fighter flyers (I think 3).

The game is Emperors will, and we were playing long table, first turn was night fighting.

Orks T1 - Not knowing what to do with the zombies, the bikers actually moved away from the front line, to support the mob of boys (my oblits and termies were deep-striking).  He moved his trucks up and his lootas shot some zombies.

Chaos T1 - Moved zombies up - they got in the way of the CSM - I meant them to be a screen, but they quickly became an obstacle because of the way I deployed them.

Orks T2 - The bikers were still in the backfield.  His lootas killed some more stuff.  2 of his planes came on, and he made sure that they were out of range of my gun (I put it too far back), and shot some CSM, but nothing serious.

Chaos T2 - I deep striked some oblits and the terminators with lord in front of loota trucks, my dragons came on, and the flamer killed a lot of a unit of lootas, making them run, while my autocannon pinned the nob bikers (until we realized they couldn't be pinned).  Between my termies, 1 unit of oblits, and my autocannon, I killed both trucks containing lootas, giving me first blood.

Orks T3 - The bikes decided to come back to the front, but they have too far to go to charge this turn.  Lootas shoot, his flyer shoots.

Chaos T3 - One of my terminators is dead, so my lord falls back into the zombie squad, and I have the terminators assault a loota squad, I shoot, flame and vector strike the other 2, so two of the loota squads are running away with less than 5 people, and 1 is wiped out.  I try to deepstrike my remaining oblits too close, and they scatter into the bikes, and back into reserve.

Orks T4 - The bikes hit my terminators, and massacre them - as expected.  2 of his flyers go off the board, the other one comes on, and he mis-calculates the range, my quad-gun brings it down.  Both of his units of lootas rally, and he pumps all his loota shots, and boyz shots into my dragons, and brings one of them down.

Chaos T4 - I try to charge the bikes with the zombies, but roll terrible, like 3 inches to assault through cover.  My oblits land near his shoota boys with gazgul.

Ork 5 - His flyers come back on, and kill my other dragon.  He split his biker boss and charges the 2 remaining CSM in the far left squad (the other CSM squad is still trying to get around zombies to shoot at lootas), while the rest of his bikes charge Typhus and about 16 zombies.  The Boss takes a wound in overwatch, from a plasma gun, and then takes a pistol to the face, dying before he gets to attack.  Typhus loses several zombies, and kills several orks, activating his force weapon.  Gazgul declared the charge (he was going to attack with all of the orks, but right before he ended his movement phase I told him I deep-striked my oblits there to lure his orks off the objective, so he seperated Gazgul.  Gazgul took some wounds, but killed both oblits.

Chaos 5 - Typhus kills the rest of the bikers, with 2 zombie wounds to spare.  Gazgul, caught in the open, takes as much fire-power as I can spare, which enough to do the last wound needed to kill him.

Game ended, Chaos 5 (First blood, slay the warlord, objective), and Orks 3 (objective).

The game was slow until turn 4, because the Ork player plays defensively, and zombies take a long time to cross the long board (especially when they can't run through area terrain), but everything did what it needed to.

Thoughts - Zombies did well.  Had the bikes charged right away, I might have lost the zombies before Typhus had a chance to support him.  I will probably start him in zombies from now on, probably the first row and then, once it takes too many losses, shift to the second wave (which will be right behind the first).  The zombies are a great tar pit against a lot of units, but, according to some quick math hammer, they were only going to last 2 combats against the bikers, which means that the bikes would be free on his turn - not ideal.

The terminators are probably out.  3 with combi meltas cost more than 2 oblits, and have less total wounds, and less fire power.

Typhus.is.a.psyker.  I went 4 turns before I remembered this, and started using his powers, which were awesome against the bikers, although I don't know if they made the difference, since the were still obliterating zombies.

I think I am going back to the flamer on the second dragon.  The auto cannon was good, and it would have pinned 2 units (it pinned some lootas too), but with 6 oblits and a quad gun, I think I need more anti-troop firepower than  anti-air / anti-vehicle.

CSM with mark of nurgle did fine.  I have no complaints, except I am probably going to give the rear detachment a longer ranged weapon - like a missile launcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment