Sunday, March 31, 2013

Local Tournament - Game 3

This is the 3rd game of the tournament yesterday.  I, of course, used the same list.  My opponent was playing Vanilla Marines.  He had a drop pod with lysander and 10 sternguard, a unit of assault terminators, led my the Chapter Master (can't remember his name, but the guy with 2 power fists), 3 vindicators, and 3 squads of tacticals.

I won this game by a large margin, primarily because I out-maneuvered  him (although almost messed it up on the last turn by charging his unit away from an objective with my cultist, instead of the unit toward objective - had the game gone another turn, I would have had a minor victory instead of major).  He dropped the pod and terminators behind my ADL, and swept through my back field, whereas I deep-striked everything with a 2+ save behind his lines.

In this game, my Helbrutes contributed by being roadblocks that he had to assault to get to my troops.  They still died without killing anything, but by forcing him to charge them instead of my marines, I bought my marines 2 turns (which left me with an objective I wouldn't have had, and would have lost in 1 more turn).

My terminators and oblits landed behind his lines and took out 2 vindicators, and my autocannon heldrake killed the other with a side shot (I am liking the flexibility of having 1 each weapon on the heldrake).  The fact that I was able to take out 3 vindicators in a turn is re-enforcing the fact that the helbrutes are superfluous in this list, and can probably be replaced, maybe with bikes or more terminators.

I already knew I would have a hard-time against terminators, but my plan of staying away from them worked, and I don't know of plasmaguns would have made much difference against stormshields (although, if i hadn't needed to kill the vindicators, I could have dropped plasma cannons on them).  The only problem is, you can't stay away from them, if you need to hold an objective, so I might need more tarpitting (thinking more of zombies)

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought of dropping the Hell Brutes and either incorporating a sorceror with a small group of either marines (cult marines even) or a larger group of cultists with him? Barring that, what do the points look like for being able to take a flying DP? I find the flying demon princes of Nurgle to be best. The other option might be to include a small unit of chosen with a tank hunter role (melta guns, PF, melta bombs) or even expand your group of terminators for more survivability. I guess that's what I love about this codex, so many options and all of them viable and competitive...I think you literally chose the one unit (Hell Brute) in the entire codex that I do not like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I don't like it either now. I thought it would be ok, with the multi-melta. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have an invuln save, so once it was hit and penetrated, that was it. While this is normal for walkers, when it is literally the only walker of 4 or 5 that does not get the save, it really sticks out.

    ReplyDelete