Sunday, March 31, 2013

Local Tournament - Game 1

Played in a local tournament yesterday.  Points-wise, I was tied for third, but I had lost a game, and the other  2 third placers hadn't, so one of them got it.  Following my own advice, I tried to take a diverse list, with tools to handle everything, without a auto-win gimmick.

My list was:
Chaos Lord - Mark of Khorne, Melta bombs, Sigil of corruption, Power Armour, Axe of Blind Fury, Bolt  
                      Pistol


Unit of 3 Chaos Terminators - Mark of Nurgle, (Combi-melta, Powerfist), (Chainfist, Combi-melta),
                      Terminator Champion (Combi-Melta, Power Axe)

Helbrute - Multi-melta, Power fist with Heavy flamer

Helbrute - Multi-melta, Power fist with Heavy flamer

30 Chaos Cultists - Mark of Khorn, 3x Flamers

10 Chaos Space Marines - Mark of Nurgle, 1 x Heavy Bolter (I waited so long to make my list and
                      assemble my Heldrakes that I had to go with what I had)


10 Chaos Space Marines - Mark of Nurgle, 1 x Heavy Bolter

10 Chaos Space Marines - Mark of Nurgle,

Heldrake with Baleflamer

Heldrake with Hades Autocannon

2 Obliterators with Mark of Nurgle

2 Obliterators with Mark of Nurgle

Aegis Defense Line with quad-gun

  As usual, I am terrible at knowing what the opponent had, and I am least familiar with 'nids, but he had 7 monstrous creatures, and a total of something like 16 psyker powers (all of which were biomancy, so  there was endurance and iron arm buffed monsters), and some monster that every shooting phase, causes every unit within 6" to roll 3d6 leadership test, and take ap 2 wounds for every point over your leadership (this cost me a unit of oblits on my turn, as I didn't realize that it worked on my turn as well, so I moved oblits closer to charge)

  So turn 1, all he had were the bosses that spawned gaunts, and 2 large units of gaunts, everything else was in reserve.  I had infiltrate,and he had the warlord re-deploy, so my Warlord and a unit of his gaunts were in combat pretty quickly.  My warlord rolled a 1 for his deamon weapon, so it was not the charge on the slaughter it should have been (and in future turns, he buffed his guys with feel-no-pain, and de-buffed me with -1S and -1T.  I still won that fight, just in time for his Warlord (bone saber guy with iron arm, so initiative 8, Str 9, Tough 9) to kill my warlord, break my squad and wipe them.  - This was turn 3 (we only got 4 turns); the game was slay the warlord, and, up to this point, I was winning 7 to 3.  This combat shot him up to 7 to 6.  Then, on turn 4, I shot some stuff, came close to willing 2-3 monsters (all he had left), but with an average of T6 and 4-6 wounds (some of which were then buffed with Iron Arm), I couldn't kill one that turn (I probably could have focused fire, but since he was about to charge all of my units, I was trying to soften them all up for overwatch, or melee kills.
  On his turn 4, he assaulted 2 units of marines, 1 unit of oblits, and killed them all, making it 7-9 nids.

Thoughts on the game -
  The Helbrutes were about as bad as everyone said.  I can see a use for long range Multi-Melta, but I have that with Obliterators.  I didn't realize at the time, that Helbrutes don't even get a 5+ daemon save that every other walker in my army has.  With no pods, no way to make them outflanking, and no invuln save, I was not impressed.  Of all 3 games, this was their chance to shine, because they might have beaten an unbuffed monster in combat, but they couldn't survive the shooting to get there... from 'nids.
 
  Warlord with cultists.   They got him there, and he killed stuff, but not as quickly as I would have liked, although in this game, I was not going to win against his warlord no matter what I brought, so it is hard to make that call.  The advantage to this, over bikes, is that I was able to use my warlord trait to give them infiltrate.

  Everything else did about how I expected, and the heavy-bolter wasn't even a terrible choice, although double plasma guns would have been better (and 50 points more expensive)  In fact, more plasma, or autocannon havocs was probably the only thing I could have about this list to help against so many monsters.  

Tactics-wise, I should have fallen back through cover and made him chase me a little as I shot, although monsters have move through cover, and all his guys were fleet, but still, a few missed charges might have made the difference, as most of his monsters had at least a few wounds (which is also something I could have done different - I should have focused fire better, but my units were so spread out that they couldn't support each other).  This match-up was a tough fight, but I don't think it was un-beatable with what I brought, had I played it better, although it showed a glaring weakness against psyker strong armies (unfortunately not a weakness I can do a lot about).



No comments:

Post a Comment