Sunday, March 17, 2013

Second game with Chaos

This was played the same day as the first post (and the same player).  I used the same army as the first game with chaos.  I was playing purge the alien against orks.  My opponent had Gaz'gul and a mob of shoota' boys (I think 30), 3 units of 14 lootas, a unit of nob bikers with a warboss, and 3 ork fighter planes.

Again, I was using proxies, but this game was pretty straight forward, so I'll do it more in a turn by turn analysis.

 Turn 1 - he went first, it was night fighting - it was dawn of war an we deployed in opposite corners, so nothing was in range.  I moved my demon prince into cover, close enough that I could probably assault his bikers next turn, but where I had a 2+ cover save (because of mark of nurgle) from his lootas.

Opponent Turn 2 - His flyers came in, and all though it took all 3 of them, they did manage to kill my demon prince, meaning I was down 3 points right away (1 for unit, 1 for first blood, and 1 for slay the warlord).  His bikers pulled back, so I was going to have to go after him.

Chaos Turn 2 - My flyers came on.  He had positioned his orks so that I could not vector strike them (because there was no where to land).   I couldn't vector strike the ork flyers, because they were on the other side of the board, and striking them meant that I would lose at least two turns of flaming (plus I think they were also too far back).  I flamed his bikers with all three heldrakes, and killed 1 or 2.  I deep striked my Oblits, 1 unit scattered off the table, and went back into reserve, but the other 2 landed behind his lines.  The unit of 3 oblits assault cannoned the closest lootas and broke them.  The other unit killed some of the mob of boyz.  I started moving my rhinos to get my troops into range to help, but it would have taken them until turn 7 to get into melee with the orks (we didn't get a 7th turn), and it would have taken until turn 9 for my 2 units of marines to be killed by what was left of his ork mob, gaz'gul, and nob with powerfist)

Turn 3 - I think he forgets to roll for his lootas, so see if they stay or if they run off the board, but it's ok, because he didn't shoot them either.  His bikes charge both units of my oblits (I use the heavy flamers, and kill 1-2 - I got 11 hits with wall of flame).  We tie in combat, doing 3 wounds each, but I lost 2 guys, and he only lost 1).  He shot at my flyers, but I made a lot of saves, took some hits, but only 1 of them went down - it took hits from 2 flyers and 2 units of lootas).

Chaos turn 3 - I vector strike some boys with my last 2 dragons, and then flame them.  We're not sure how vector strike works, as far was where are the casualties assigned, so I let him pick, and he put them all on gaz' gul, who absorbed all but one of them on his 2+ save.  My oblits fail their reserve roll, and my other 2 units of oblits get wiped out, killing another bike or two (leaving him with a war boss and a nob biker, each with one wound).  One of my heldrakes flame a unit of lootas, breaking them and causing them to run off the board, and the other kills 3 more lootas from the group already falling back, so they can' rally without double 1's.

Enemy turn 4 - He declares Waaah!, letting his flyers to fire twice each.  Between that and the lootas, he finishes off both of my remaining heldrakes.  His bikers pop one of the Rhinos in melee.  His lootas run off the board, leaving him with one unit at full strength.

Chaos turn 4.  I deepstrike my oblits near his lootas, and assault cannon them, killing 7 of them, but they pass their leadership.  I unload all of the marines from their rhinos, and finish off the bikers with rapid fire.

Enemy turn 5.  He fires his whole army at the oblits, and kills one of them.  He tries to assault the other, but it is through cover, and I wall of flame the closest guy, so he doesn't make it.

Chaos Turn 5.  I put everything back in the rhinos and move toward his boyz, although even if they get there, I have already lost, because I had several more kill points to give up than he did, and I lost the first two optional points.  My oblit moves towards the lootas, kills 2, and then charges...but fails because I only got 3" charge, and I had killed the closest 2.

Turn 6.  Between his boyz and his lootas, he killed my last oblit.  His fighers didn't do anything, because they had to turn to stay on the board, and didn't have any targets.

Chaos turn 6.  I moved up the rhinos, and unloaded everything, and was able to shoot some of the boyz, but was too far out of range to charge.  There was no turn 7.

Thoughts / lessons learned:
1. The demon prince needs more fast stuff to work well. In my first game, I held him back until my dragons came out, so that when my enemy's fliers came on, there was a saturation of targets.  This game, my opponent went first, and when his fliers came on, my prince was easily their best target, and they killed him, which put me way behind from the start.  While he did awesome the first game, I am thinking that his place is in a fast army, where there are a lot of turn 2 threats right away (maybe 2 princes and bike unit).

2. Again, the dragons, while doing great for their points (I really don't see a more efficient way to spend 170 points), they cannot carry the army alone, and they need anti-air support, because in the enemy has more than 1 flyer, the dragons are going to start dropping, and since 3 of them, point-wise, uses up most of your allotted anti-troop allowance, you need them to survive.

3. While there might be a time to drop oblits behind to wipe out a key target, they have pretty good range, and probably should kill stuff from a distance (I know the internet says they are at their best withing 24", which is true, they are also much easier to kill with volume of fire inside 24" (of course, this would also be different if one was playing a faster, turn 2 army - which I am having trouble making for chaos)


No comments:

Post a Comment