Sunday, March 31, 2013

Local Tournament - Game 2

This was game 2 of yesterday's tournament.  I had the same army as I did in the last post, and my opponent played IG with Space Wolf allies.  He had 2 blobs infantry platoons (with a space wolf chaplain in each) - the platoons were naked, no extra, special, or power weapons.  He also had an aegis defense line, were he had a unit of grey hunters, 2 platoon heavy weapons squads, and a company command squad with a guy who gives me -1 to reserve rolls, and a master of ordinance.  He also had Marbo and a second 2nd Hunter squad.  Finally, he had 2 Valkyries (one of was modeled as a viking long ship, on a stormraven base - looked pretty cool, and will look even cooler painted).

Luckily, the first turn was night fighting, because I underestimated his fire power, and had started clustered up (I had deployed my ADL across my side of the board, but when I rolled crusader, I decided that I wanted to try marching across the board with everyone in 12", to benefit from preferred enemy.  While it is rules as written, I think it is lame that a blob of IG can be led by a space wolf, and benefit from all of his perks, including preferred enemy, but, since it is an IG unit, my preferred enemy was worthless against him (this is not a bash against the player at all, who is a friend of mine, but rather a complaint about GW rules).

We traded blows, and it was pretty even, even without my dragons for the most part (he had also gotten the warlord trait that effects reserve, so my reserve roll was 5+).  My dragons didn't really make a big difference - other than taking out his 2 flyers.  I tried to kill his warlord, or his troops on the objective, and I did kill a lot of them, but I forgot that the heavy weapon teams also counted as troops.

My warlord and cultists got into a fight with one of the blobs.  He had 3-4 sergeants that he kept feeding my warlord (which kept the combat going a while, but is also the first time I got to roll on the boon chart).  I rolled a 1 twice during this combat, including once against his chaplain, but still one the combat and, on the last turn, killed the priest and broke the 2 infantry units (he had also thrown in the platoon command squad, although now that I think about it, I think he only make 1 leadership roll, and he should have rolled 2, so he might have screwed himself there.

Overall, I won by 2.

Thoughts - Again, the Helbrutes didn't pull their weight (and in fact, gave my opponent first blood).

The Heldrakes, while killing a lot of guys, were not really game changing, other than destroying his aircraft, since they didn't wipe out any actual units.

The Warlord and his guys killed a huge blog, and tied it up, and eventually won, so I again, I can't really complain - I wanted to kill it faster, so far this unit had been good for wiping out one unit, and I feel it should be doing more, but maybe my expectations are too high, after all, it took a big threat out of the game. (First Rank, Second Rank fire from 30 guys is a lot of shots - the other blob almost decimated a unit of T5 marines (granted it still took 4 turns, and there were 2 guys left, but had he moved closer, and added rapid fire, it could have gotten ugly).

Since everything except my warlord and cultists are nurgle, and the warlord is basically acting like a tarpit, I am thinking about adding Typhus, and using zombies as the tarpit  -just don't want to do 70+ zombies, that's why I don't play orks :).  Still zombies are pure tarpit, my Khorn guys are a tarpit that eventually usually wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment