Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thoughts on list building

   I have been having a really hard time coming up with a Chaos list.  I don't think that it is because they are a bad army, and they have some awesome units.  They also have a few USRs that you can build a list around - preferred enemy and infiltration for example. 

  Why then, has it been so hard for me to make a list?  I think I have the answer.  I was cruising some forums and blogs, and someone, in the comments (and I would credit the person if I remembered who, or which blog), said something like, "The problem is that so many people are trying to win the game in the list building phase, rather than playing the game."

  I think that this is probably why I am having so much trouble.  I think that, instead of playing some things that are cool, and giving myself the tools to face different enemies, I was trying to make an all-comers list  that won the game before even playing - I don't know how I got to there, probably because I used to play games like Magic the Gathering - although even in 40K there have been games where I had lost before even starting the game. 

   I am not saying that this made the game not fun for me, or that I am so competitive that I am a jerk to play against (these are the first two questions I asked myself after realizing what I was doing), but it has created a lot of stress when trying to come with lists.  From now on (or at least for a little while), I am going to try to focus less on the perfect list, and instead just make sure that my list is not auto-lose against certain armies. 

 The criteria I am using, which is from a blog that I will cite if  I can find it again,is that my army must have a plan for:

AV 12 flyers
50 Man blob (with ATSKNF)
40 MeQ
3-5 Rhino / Chimera rush
Deep Striking (DA and Daemons)
Invulnerable save
Aegis Defense line
4 Durable Scoring Units
monsters / large group pf multi-wounds.

  Like I said, this is not my list, and there are some things that I don't know if they need their own sections, for example Invuln save (Stormshields) and ADL would probably both be delt with by volume of fire, and I don't know if I'll always need 4 scoring units - but this is a good place to start.  I will be able to test this (if my army comes in from ebay), because there is a tournament Saturday at the Local Gaming Store.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Especially since the Daemons codex came out. I've found it harder and harder to make a "good list". so finally I just chose a theme and went for it. The list I created is far from perfect, but I think it will work ok (not auto-lose) and should be fun. Now my problem is that I don't have the models to actually represent everything in the list, so I'm back at the collecting phase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel YOUR pain. I had made a lot of Daemon lists that I thought would be good, and fun, but I had almost none of the models I wanted - actually, I have almost no daemon models at all, so I went with Chaos Marines instead.

    ReplyDelete