Monday, August 20, 2012

2000 BA vs Orks

Right after the Necrons, I played the same player's Ork army.  It was too late to change lists, so I was still built for scoring vs KP (even though I built the list for a tournament that only plays KP), but at least I didn't combat squad anything.

His list was
3 units of loots (I think 14 per squad)
2 units of Squig Cannons
a unit of 30 shoota boyz
a large unit of nob bikers
2 ork fighter planes (don't remember which specific one, but they each had 3 TL guns, I think Str 7)


Turn 1 BA.  I got to go first again.  This time I kept the assault marines on the table, behind the bikes (so that they can charge sooner - maybe turn 2.  I rushed forward, using the bikes as a screen.  I have fought his bikes before so, while I respected them, I wasn't afraid of them (apparently he reconfigured them, or maybe my list was just that bad this time, because they were a lot more powerful this time).  My whirlwind killed some lootas.

BA Turn 1, right after movement phase
 Turn 1 Orks.  His bikers attacked mine, and even though he rolled badly (his boss got three 1's to wound), he wiped my bikes out (the librarian won his challenge, so he survived, and had to flee, but was caught - so ATSKNF locked him back into combat.  His lootas killed a whirlwind, giving him first blood.

Turn 2 BA - I thought about sending my jump marines into the bike combat, but I decide to jump over it instead, and try to get some points while his bikes were tied up.  (Not wanting to give him more targets for his powerfists).  I do unload my death company, so that they can charge the bikes next turn.  Unfortunately, his bikes finish mine off my librarian this turn (I was hoping that a challenge could keep my librarian alive another turn).  I did manage to assault his shoota Boyz with one unit of assault marines.

BA Turn 2, just before assault
 Turn 2 orks - His bikes shoot and charge into my death company.  His shooting removed all the power axes (He killed 7 to shooting), so I had 3 guys with bolters.  The death company died.  His shooting took out most of the assault marines who were not already in combat.  His planes came in an destroyed a rhino, and my other whirlwind.  My marines were, again, pinned coming out of the Rhino.

Ork Turn 2, after shooting.
Orks killing my Death Company
Turn 3 BA - Knowing that the tactical squad in the river is not going to get away, I move them toward the bikes, to maximize my rapid fire shots.  I position my 3 assault marines not in combat to double charge his artillery units.  His overwatch kills my SGT (I am not sure that artillery can shoot overwatch, but since it says "cannot snap-shot" in the "movement" part of artillery, my opponent argued that the no snap shot only applies if the artillery moves, and there was nothing saying he couldn't fire overwatch.  I am pretty sure I read that if you cannot snap-shot then you couldn't fire overwatch, but I couldn't find the exact rule, and eventually I quit arguing because I realized that even if I double charged, and killed both squads of squigs, it wouldn't change the fact that I was about to be tabled. 

Turn 3 - Orks - His bikes killed my tactical squad, his lootas killed most of my other tactical squad, and I lose an assault marine.  By the end of this turn, I have 1 assault marine not in combat, 6 assault marines in combat (I am winning against the ork boyz), and 3 tactical marines.  We call the game.

Thoughts.   Normally I build pretty good lists, but even considering that I was built for scoring, and my opponent built for KP in a KP game, my list was not good.  You can't win a scoring game if you don't have any units left on the table.  I think part of the problem was all the points put into bikes.  Maybe I used them wrong, they are not assault bikes, so charging them at the enemy is no good.  Using them as a screening unit didn't work well, because if you are screening something into melee, then the bikes are going to end up in melee also - which they are not good for (at least not against a real assault unit).  They aren't scoring, so they can't replace tactical marines in rhinos.  I am not sure what to do with the bikes, but for now I am taking them out of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment