Monday, September 10, 2012

Thoughts on Purge the Alien List - 2000

So, I was thinking about the my most recent game, where I was practicing for the 2k (1999+1) purge the alien list.  I had trouble against who I thought was going to be my biggest competition, and we discussed our lists, and what we expected other people to bring.  I had 3 ideas, that a lot of my strategy was based on:
1.  Since I was taking assault flyers (Storm Ravens), I would get the charge, and my assault unit would be protected until that happened.
2.  My Storm Ravens would take out any big threats (Land Raiders, Las Plas, Etc), and then I would be able to focus those MM and AC on enemy Terminator Types
3. My DC with 3 power axes would cut through any Terminators, and my DC Dreads would take care of any Marine Types.

Well, even though I got to go second, his flyers didn't come in until turn 4, which means I couldn't stay embarked.  I had to Skies of Blood everything, to make sure they didn't die if the enemy air came in and blew my out of the sky.  This means I didn't get the charge, and I got shot up a lot before getting charged.

2 Multi Meltas is not enough to guarantee a Land Raider kill in 1 turn (or 3 turns apparently), which means I need another way to deal with terminators (although in hind site, 2 MM is only going to take out 2 Termies a turn, so I am really depending on my DC)

If my DC does not get the charge, they are not going to crush terminators, especially if those terminators have storm shields. (I would win against 5 termies on the charge, in 3 rounds of combat, but they I would be combat ineffective.)

The two people I am most concerned about in the upcoming tournament (of the 5 who showed up last month) are going to play DA with IG, and Space Wolves (probably with IG).  Since both of these people used to be in my normal play group, I have a pretty good idea what to expect.  The DA is going to bring a list similar to what he did - 3 Terminator squads (2 claws and 3 hammer+shields), at least 2 vendettas, probably a Land Raider.  The rest is up the in the air.  The Space Wolf is probably going to bring a big Wolf Cavalry unit, probably with a lot of Storm Shields.

So, if I can't count on going second, and getting first shots at enemy flyers, then I can't leave my stuff in the Storm Ravens, and if I have to eject from Storm Raven, I can't guarantee first charge, which means my DC won't crush terminators.  I am going to be facing storm shields.  To face Storm Shields, I really need weight of fire, but I don't want an all infantry army, especially since the game is going to be purge the alien.  Against terminators or Cavalry with Storm Shields (which at least 3 of the armies will bring - Chaos has a unit too), Mephiston and DC dreads are not going to pull their weight.

So for fun, I am thinking of the following list.  This is not set in stone, if Storm Ravens can't guarantee me the charge, then I can get 2 Vendettas for the same price as 1 Storm Raven, and actually gain some fire power.  If I am not taking the Storm Ravens, I am not taking the DC Dread (because I don't see them successfully running across the board.):

Unit 1: Land Raider with Librarian (Shield of Sanguinas power - +5 Cover save within 6") and 5 Assault Marines.

Unit 2: Land Raider with TL MM and 5 Assault Marines

Unit 3: Vindicator Tank

Unit 4-5: Whirl Winds 

Unit 6: 2 Vendettas (1 with Company Command Squad, 1 with veterans)

Unit 7: 2 Leman Russ Demolishers and 1 Leman Russ Executioner (with plasma cannon sponsons)

That's 12 kill points that are largely immune to small arms fire, and puts out
1 TL MM shot
10 TL Las Cannon shots
6 Heavy Bolter Shots
3 Str 10 AP 1 Large Templates
2 Str 5, AP 4 Large Templates
7 Str 7, AP 2 Small Templates.

The trick would be maneuvering to keep the front armor 14 facing the the biggest threats, while staying in the 6" cover bubble, without losing any shots.  I think this list is tough, and has fire power that is equally effective against terminators, marines and hordes, with enough big hits that even 3++ will be scared.  The weaknesses are that they will be susceptible to blast weapons (bunched up for mutual cover).  The Land Raiders are the only things that can't move and fire everything at full ballistic skill, but they are probably going to have to move the most, to make sure their armor 14 is protecting the soft sides of everything else.

Just a thought I'm kicking around.  I know vehicles aren't as durable as they used to be, but I don't feel that really applies to Armor 14.  


No comments:

Post a Comment