Saturday, September 1, 2012

2000 BA vs IG

So, played 2000 points against IG.  I was experimenting with a list to beat my last tournament list (because I expect a lot of lists to be similar to it next month).  I thought lots of troops, with lots of plasma cannons would rock anything, and having lots of scoring units would be a bonus - this was not the case today.

BA:
2 Tactical Squads with Plasma Cannon and Plasma Guns
2 Tactical Squads with Multi Melta and Flamer
1 Jump Squad with 2 Flamers
1 Sterngaurd with 4 combi melta and 2 Plasma Cannons
2 squads of Devs with missile launchers and 3 extra guys
1 squad of las cannon devs with 3 extra guys
an Aegis Defense Line with icarus las cannon (manned by las cannon squad and librarian)
IG
2 Basilisks in Squads
2 LR Demolishers
1 Chimera with Vets and a las cannon
1 Bastion with vets on top (with las cannon) and company command squad with reserve guy insude
3 squads of 2 vendettas.

Set Up
Game Relic - Vanguard Set Up : The LR are behind the bastion, the Basilisks are in the crater in the back corner. We decided after the set up, that I my pieces should all be connected, which is why it changes in future pictures.

Turn 1
BA was night fighting - I glanced the building with 2 las cannons

IG - I was out of range of everything except the Basilisk, which killed most of a tactical squad (I went to ground with them, but still lost 7)

End of My Turn 2
Turn 2
BA - I moved everything toward the relic.  I had a lot of anti tank, but not a lot of armor 14 anti tank.  I was counting on the las cannons, which didn't have much of a shot, and the 2 MM in the squads, which had to march close to use it.  I forgot to roll for my reserves, so assault squad stays.  Since I knew I didn't have the AT I needed, my plan was to rush the objective, and drag it back to where I had cover, and where his tanks had to come to me.  I hit the tower hard with the las cannon, and kill all but 3 of the command squad.

IG - His 3 units of flyers come in - he only needed a 2+ because of the command squad guy.  I didn't take a picture of it, but almost everyone of my squads was "gone to ground."  I thought I'd just wait for the planes to pass, so I was going to sacrifice a turn (it didn't work, because the planes managed to stay on several turns).  My Las Cannon hit a Vendetta, and took off one of his weapons.


Start of his turn 2

End of My Turn 2
 Turn 3
BA - Still trying to grab the relic and drag it back, but 2 basilisks that ignore cover and armor, and 2 Demolishers are tearing me up.  I roll for my Assault troops, but roll a 1, and then roll 1 again for DoA.

IG - Continue pounding me.  It occurs to me by now that my tactic isn't going to work, but I need to get close to use my anti tank anyway, so either way I have to push the middle, or just hide and go for the tie, but where is the fun in that?

Turn 4
BA - Jump marines come in - they are armed with flamers, because I thought I had enough AT, and wanted to beef up my anti-horde.  They hid the ground and run, getting as close as possible to the LR (I have the krak grenades, and am hoping that I am too close for him to shoot - I know his weapons don't have minimum range, but I was hoping that some templates would scatter into his own forces, or that he would have to move too car to shoot his ordinance weapons)
IG - My plan failed, and he slaughtered the assault marines, giving him first blood.

End of my Turn 4

The Assault Squad, right before it is "demolished"
 Turn 5
BA - This whole report, I listed my turn first, but I realize now that I went second, so everything is skewed by half a turn.  He blew most of the rest of guys off the board, I had 1 tactical squad make a run for the objective, but they were too far away.

Turn 6 - We got a turn 6, but I tried to run my squad, and then ran, and was still 6 inches away from the objective - so there was no way to pick it up, and I was down first blood and warlord, so we ended it.
End of game, my final tactical squad was alive, but i removed them before I was reminded to take a picture
Thoughts on the game.  Well, I made the list thinking lots of troops with heavy weapons would be enough.  I moved away from my tournament because it had no scoring units (I thought about running it anyway, and just making sure I won on secondaries, after killing all enemy troops, but decided that would too bold).  Obviously the more troops you have, the more firepower you lose, but I haven't found the balance yet.  My opponent from this game usually takes 2, but he plays to not lose more than to win (although he won this game without ever holding an objective - he did try to move for the objective on turn 4, after most of my stuff was gone, but he got immobilized on his cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment