Sunday, September 9, 2012

2000 Dark Angels v Blood Angels

So I played Lord High Commander (LHC) from my follower list (the only one there right now :) ).  We both plan on going to the 2000 Purge the Alien Tournament at the end of the month, so we decided to test our new armies against each other.
I had:
Mephiston and DC Dread in a Storm Raven
10 man DC (with 3 axes) and DC Dread in Storm Raven
2 Land Raiders (with MM), and 2 10-men assault squads
He had:
Belial
3 squads of 5 Terminators
1 Dev Squad (2 ML, 2 LC)
1 Vet Squad (with 3 plasma guns)
1 Company Command Squad with autocannon an Master of the Ordinance.
1 Land Raider.

I won the roll, and had him go first, and did not try to steal initiative.
Set Up
He placed the Dev Squad in the ruins on the far right, a Land Raider with a Terminator Squad, a Terminator Squad in the ruins, the Company Command Squad is in the building like ruins, and then a Vet Squad on the far left in a Crater.  I put my 2 Land Raiders behind the rock, to give my cover from most of his AT firepower.

After bottom of 1st (After my move phase)

 Turn 1 - DA.  The rock shielded my Land Raiders against most of his fire.  He got 1 shot from a Dev Las Cannon, 1 shot from LR Las Cannon, and 1 hit with his Master of Ord (but no penetrating hits).  I started mt trend of 1's and 2's.  I fired all Land Raider shots into the Command Squad, and got a hit with 2 Las Cannons, 1 MM, and 3 Heavy bolters, and the command squad made its 2 cover saves (because I rolled a 1 to hit with the MM and both Las Cannons, and one of the HB shots).  I do move my LR back a little, to give it more cover from the flanks.

Bottom of Turn 2 (after my move phase)

Turn 2 - DA.  He fails all of his reserve rolls (which kind of defeated my plan to go second, because I didn't want 6 TL-Las Cannons downing my flyer.  He fired some stuff at my Land Raiders, and missed with Master of the Ordinance.  Only 1 of my Storm Ravens came in and, not wanting to take a chance on the Vendettas coming in, I dropped off the DC and the Dread with Skies of Blood (both with minimal scatter, since I could only roll ones, which is what I rolled and re-rolled for the TL-Melta from the Storm Raven to the Land Raider.  I shoot some everything else into the Dev Squad, and kill a missile launcher.

Top of Turn 3, after his movement phase

Turn 3 - DA.  Belial came in, but his Vedettas still didn't come in.  Belial's unit kills a DC, and the Land Raider gets a LC shot off, and explodes the DC Dread, which clears the way for the Terminators to charge the DC.  The DC did OK, killing 2 Terminators, but without the charge, they are not the terminator killers I wanted them to me (additionally all my math-hammering didn't account for Storm Shields, which have me thinking that I am going to have to do something different, because I don't have the weight of fire to force lots of saves, so I either need to make each shot count, or... I don't know, because I don't want to redo my whole army.)  My 2nd Storm Raven comes in, and rolls a 2 and 1 for the MM shot, my other SR hovers, and rolls a 2 and a 2 on the MM shot.  (I decide to take a chance, and not Skies of Blood this time).

Bottom of Turn 3, After my Move
Turn 4 - DA.  His Vendettas come in and blow up a Storm Raven.  Mephiston takes a wound, and the DC Dread gets immobilized (which leaves it destroyed - wasn't going to rock against the Terminators anyway.  The Death Company gets finished off, and the Terminators consolidate toward my Land Raiders, and the other 2 squads of Terminators move toward the hovering Storm Raven.  My MM finally hits the Land Raider, but rolls a 1 and 3 for penetration.  Mephiston jumps behind the Land Raider, and finally kills the Land Raider (too little too late, but it gives me my first kill point).  My Land Raider shoots into the Company Command Squad, and cause them to run off the table.

End of his Turn 5
 Turn 5 - DA.  He charges the Land Raider and the Storm Raven.  The Storm Raven goes down, and the Land Raider takes a few glancing blows.  I unload both of my land raiders, and they each kill a squad of veterans (I forgot in turn 4, he used his grav shoot to drop off some veterans to shoot at my Storm Ravens, but he missed with all of them).  

Turn 6 - DA.  Belail and his squad charge.  He accepts the challenge with his SGT, and my SGT is the only one who survived (Belail killed everyone else).  He ran, and they terminators couldn't follow.  In the end, I had line-breaker, but lost like 6 to 9, but it was never very close.

Thoughts - I thought about Terminators when making this list, but not Storm Shields.  It would take a radical change to create a weight of fire, but how many plasma shots is it going to take to overcome storm shields?  Even in melee, they are going to be hard to kill.  Maybe adding resilience to my own units instead....

No comments:

Post a Comment