Monday, May 6, 2013

Tuning my GK all shunt list part 3.1 Necron Allies

So, the first allies I am considering for my GK allies are Necrons.  GK/Necron lists seem to do pretty well in tournaments.  On the other hand, even though the fluff might support it, I really have a hard time with accepting that Grey Knights would work with Necrons.

Assuming that my Grey Knights would work with Necrons, the next question to answer is, do Necrons add anything to this specific list?

While there are a lot of possible Necron ally lists, the biggest gap in my Shunt list is anti-air, and Necron is the only army that lets me take 3 discrete aircraft.  I can take 2 units of warriors, each with Night Scythe, and then a Doom Scythe.

This would give me 2 more scoring units, 3 flyers that can act independently, for both AA and Ground support.

Despite my feelings about Necrons working with Grey Knights, this does fill a hole in the list.  On the other hand, I can take a Stormraven for 205 points, with 4 missiles (although 90% they suck, I have sniped HQ with them), a TL assault cannon, and a Multi-Melta.

The Night Scythes are costing me about 195 (65 for the unit + 100 for the Scythe + 30 for 1/3 of the overlord) each, for basically 2 autocannons and 2 scoring units who won't die if the plane blows up.

I already have access to cheap troops, and 10 points is worth a MM, rending, and an extra point of armor (and I save myself the money of buying 3 Necron fliers), so I probably won't go with this incarnation of Necron allies, although I want to note that even though I don't think these Necrons bring anything to my list, they don't take anything away either - I think this would be a pretty competitive list, if I already had some Necrons, and wanted to branch into Grey Knights.

No comments:

Post a Comment